Always really liked Mona. I wish they would do her on the new show; I think it would be super cool to have her be semi-reoccurring instead of just a one shot. I tried to keep her as close to the style of the new show as I felt comfortable with; I feel like no way is nickelodeon comfortable with her being a naked teenage girl (lizard, whatever) so she is clothed.
I grew up with the eighties series and there was seriously a dearth of female characters, which made it somewhat less fun to be a girl and collect all the toys (even the ones with the plastic strips that make them speak in demon voices; yeah, I’m that old). I hope there’s little girls out there watching the new one every saturday morning, too, and it would be cool if they could have a girl mutant (who isn’t a ninja or a turtle, we know how that turned out) to put in their turtle print draw string bag with the blimp— I mean… um. Ahem.
I also think she would be great for Raphael, who in this series I am not super digging (even though Astin is doing a great job, FWIW) even though he is usually my second fave (DAAAAAAAAAAAMN). I feel like he needs a good foil to bring him up short / engage him in banter / etc. I know that’s supposed to be Leo, but I dunno, just not feeling like they have that going on. Whatever, YMMV.
Not to mention that she would be a super great shout out to old fans! She has been redesigned by fans so many times, and is well remembered by a lot of people, even though she only had one ep.
REGARDLESS, haha, tl:dr turtles always need moar mona.
got a fun commission the other day from jms on FA, and I got the chance to do it in watercolors. I’ve never worked with masking fluid before, so I thought this would be a good chance to try it out. Here’s a step by step:
first, I thumbnailed the pic on a post-it. I don’t have a pic of that.
sketched the image as tight as I felt comfortable on watercolor paper
masked out the character, some stars, and parts of the BG
tried out some drippage, sponging, etc. to get a nice starry atmospheric thing going on
masking stuff is removed, started rendering the character with the blacks, to force myself to do all the blacks and move on (necessary to minimize the number of times you change the water)
starting in on the reds
final - inked with pentel pens over the painting, shaded with copics to bring out the forms more.
A tip for masking fluid-
work with a stiff brush, mine was cheap because I anticipated ruining it (I was right; now I marked it to use with masking fluid only).